Dr. Vijay Raghavan is the Alfred and Helen Lamson Endowed Professor in Computer Science at the Center for Advanced Computer Studies. His research interests are in information retrieval and extraction, data and web mining, multimedia retrieval, data integration, and literature-based discovery. He has published around 275 peer-reviewed research papers (https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Vijay_Raghavan10). These and other research contributions cumulatively accord him an h-index of 33, based on citations to his publications. He has served as major adviser for 28 doctoral students and has garnered over $13 million in external funding. Dr. Raghavan brings substantial technical expertise, interdisciplinary collaboration experience, and management skills to his projects.
His service work at the university includes coordinating the Louis Stokes-Alliance for Minority Participation (LS-AMP) program since 2001. Raghavan has served as PC Chair, PC Co-chair or PC member in countless ACM and IEEE conferences. He received the ICDM 2005 Outstanding Service Award. Raghavan was an ACM National Lecturer from 1993 to 2006. He was a member of the Advisory Committee of the NSF Computer and Information Science and Engineering directorate, from 2008-2010. He serves on the Executive Committee of the IEEE -TCII and on the Steering committees of WIC Consortium and Int'l Rough Sets society. He received WIC 2013 Outstanding Service Award. He is one of the Editors-in-Chief of Web Intelligence journal and an Associate Editor ACM transactions on Internet Technology.
He is the founding director of the Visual and Decision Informatics (CVDI), an NSF-funded Industry University Cooperative Research Center, since February 2012, and a co-director of the Laboratory for Internet Computing.
Suggested Readings in Information Retrieval and Data Mining
- Experiments on the determination of the relationships between terms
- Retrieval System Evaluation Using Recall and Precision: Problems and Answers
- Impact of Decision-Region based classification Mining Algorithms on Database Security
- Extended Boolean query processing in the Generalized Vector Space Model
- Data Mining: Trends in Research and Development
Research Projects and Labs
Special Issues Guest Edited
- IEEE Computer - Special Issue on Big Data Management
- Neurocomputing- Special Issue on Advances in Web Intelligence
- Journal on Information Fusion- Special Issue on Web Information Fusion
- J. Amer. Society for Information Science & Technology: Special Issue on Data Mining
- Editors' Introduction- IEEE Computer Magazine- Special Issue on Content Based Image Retrieval Systems
- ‘System, method and computer program product for information sorting and retrieval using a language-modeling kernal function,’ Araicom Research L.L.C., US9177047, Issued November 3, 2015
- ‘Method and apparatus for information visualized expression, visualized human computer interactive expression interface thereof,’ Senovation L.L.C., US8732621, Issued May 20, 2014
- ‘Semantic Relationship Extraction, Text Categorization and Hypothesis Discovery,’ Araicom Research L.L.C., US8494987, Issued July 23, 2013